About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Thursday, October 21, 2021

Something There Is About Poetry and Marketing

When I received this in my email box from Amazon, at first I thought it was something my poetry partner Magdalena Ball sent me and it occurred to me how often marketing--however well done--isn't at its best when applied to books of poetry. Even rather thoughtful newsletters from exquisitely produced journals seem to lose something.  But then I thought, no. This couldn't be from Magdalena. That's when I realized it was one of Amazon's amazing benefits that few authors or publishers seem to know about. It's their combined Author Profile feature (though free, it is seldom used by authors!) combined with a typical "follow feature."  Meaning, once a reader follows the author (a lovely gift by the way), that generous reader will receive email notices of all that authors' (or poet's!) new works.  Courtesy of Amazon's algorithms! No matter where or how it came to me, I was delighted. I sent it on to my poet-friend in case she hadn't "followed" herself and therefore might be unaware it existed. Here is what I am talking about, but I urge you to keep scrolling to see one of my favorite poems in Density of Compact Bone, her newest book:

 
 
The Density of Compact Bone
 
 
The Density of Compact Bone 
 
Releasing on October 28, 2021 
 
Kindle Edition$5.99    

 
 Learn more 
 
You are subscribed to receive this email because you follow Magdalena Ball. We thought you’d like to know about this new book by the author.
 
 
 
And just why do I love "Linguistic Junkyard?" 

  It is dense. Rather like a Rubric Cube.

It makes me think.

The title appeals to anyone who loves words and poetry. That would be me.

Feelings are a luxury that are hard to share, but here are shared.

And, if some reader is not a fan of poetry, I say to you: "Don't try to make too much of this. It is not journalism. It is not fiction. There is so much here. Just let it flow over you and let you mind feel rather than think. What is going on here?  A bared soul.  


Linguistic Junkyard

It was junk
one world among many a frivolous night
gold dusted and lost.

There’s no such thing
as division, it’s just
this illusion, persistent, like skin.

I have that luxury I know you said, leaving me again then denying there was such a thing as loneliness beneath a fragrant ruffle choose your own adventure or follow mine.

Doubt can only exist
where there is a question
the point of entry is disbelief which is just waves
taken as contractions.

What if I didn’t drink
if sobriety were a superpower instead of a failing
would memory be as strong or something else, not recall.

I couldn’t see the breach
the possibility
Rainbow Lorikeets
moved from world to world
stealing seed, inhabiting my dreams.

There was nothing
I could have done differently though I pretended to try
all I wanted
in the end was nothing
the measure of existence
my body a bow
the sound of strings, this dirge.


DISCLOSURE: Magdalena Ball and I are partner poets of multi award-winning Celebration Series of chapbooks. We designed them to be as celebratory as holidays--you pick one--any old holiday. And used like greeting cards even by those who don't profess to love poetry.  


MORE ABOUT THE BLOGGER

 Howard-Johnson is the multi award-winning author of fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry. She is also a marketing consultant, editor, and author of the multi award-winning HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers including the multi award-winning The Frugal Book Promoter (http://bit.ly/FrugalBookPromoIII), now offered in its third edition by Modern History Press. Carolyn's latest is in the #HowToDoItFrugally Series of books for writers is How to Get Great Book Reviews Frugally and Ethically. She has two booklets in the #HowToDoItFrugally Series, both in their second editions from Modern History Press. Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers (http://bit.ly/LastMinuteEditsII) and The Great First Impression Book Proposal (http://bit.ly/BookProposalsII) are career boosters in mini doses and both make ideal thank you gifts for authors. The one on writing book proposals is also available as an Audio Book. The Frugal Editor (http://bit.ly/FrugalEditor), now in its second edition, is the winningest book in the series. Carolyn also has three frugal books for retailers including one she encourages authors to read because it helps them convince retailers to host their workshops, presentations, and signings. It is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques (http://bit.ly/RetailersGuide). In addition to this blog, Carolyn helps writers extend the exposure of their favorite reviews at TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com. She also blogs all things editing--grammar, formatting and more--at The Frugal, Smart, and Tuned-In Editor (http://TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com). Learn more and follow for news on her new releases direct from Amazon at http://bit.ly/CarolynsAmznProfile.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Carolyn! The poem "Linguistic Junkyard" was first published in Australian Poetry Journal 9.1

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.