About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, December 16, 2011

Still Debating Self-Publishing?

I have had two letters this week from SWW readers who believe that because I publish some of my books myself that I endorse self-publishing for all books. Well, yes and no. I believe that there is a right way to publish any given title but not only one right way. And I think that an author needs to carefully weigh her dreams for publishing, the capacity of her pocketbook, the time and willingness she has to promote, and her skill set before deciding. Oh, yeah, and her personality. Think of that last part as a zodiac check.

And I believe that we should give readers the opportunity to read our books any old way they prefer (which means, yes, that all books should eventually be rendered as an e-book—by the publisher or by the author—for those who want to read it that way.)

But what prompted me to talk about self-publishing here is that a student at Rutgers University journalism department contacted me. Her professor said that I was the definitive person to talk to about publishing. I am flattered, but there are others who know a whole lot more about publishing than I do. Having said that, I think I am darn good at consulting with authors about their paths to publishing if only because I have personally done it every which way, including some combinations of ways.

Here is a bit of what I told her about my own paths to publishing:

My novel, This Is the Place, was published by a now-defunct subsidiary of a large publisher that specialized in literary novels and, back then, that subsidiary was more or less traditional. The year was 2001 and they gave their authors an advance (like traditional publishers), did the editing for them (like traditional publishers), and a little marketing for them (which I quickly became disillusioned with). But they published digitally (sometimes called POD), and that was something I was unfamiliar with at the time. I quickly learned there is something out there that I called "publisher prejudice."

I am happy to report that publisher prejudice is diminishing, but it still exists. Later my first chapbook of poetry was also published traditionally by Finishing Line Press, a press well-respected in poetry circles. Still I found little difference in terms of what they did in terms of marketing my books.


With backgrounds in journalism, publicity, marketing, and retailing (authors are in fact retailers by virtue of the fact that they at least occasionally need to sell their books directly to consumers at book signings, speaking engagements and writers' conferences), I quickly realized that I must do the marketing for my books no matter how I published. I eventually also realized that as long as I was doing all the work of publishing (true publishing includes the marketing of a book), I might as well do it all myself and reap all the profit and all the satisfaction.


The poetry chapbooks Magdalena Ball and I chose to publish ourselves are a little on the commercial side of poetry--not the poetry itself, but the concept of having a combination of greeting card and chapbooks for people to give away at holidays. That concept seemed only suitable for self-publishing because most traditional publishers interested in poetry are quite literary and most likely would not have been at all interested in selling Christmas chapbooks as holiday cards (see www.howtodoitfrugally.com/more_on_blooming_red.htm )! Further, with our two heads, we are a publishing/marketing whiz-kid team.



I do want to clarify, though. I think there is a right way to publish for every author, every genre. No two books or authors are alike. So what is right for me today may not be right tomorrow. What is right for one book may not be right for the next.

So, what is your publishing path? I’d be interested to know what you’ve done, how you’ve done it and what you learned from the path (or paths) you chose. 
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

7 comments:

  1. I've been considering self-publishing for some short stories, and you've given me lots of good things to think about. Thanks!

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, thanks for stopping by. Yes, short stories are good candidates for self publishing because they tend not to sell as well as full length fiction and nonfiction so agents and publishers are more reluctant to take them on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated this. Thanks for posting. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. On thing that many people like about self publishing is that, typically the turn-around time is much shorter than traditional publishing. This can obviously vary, but with some options taking as little as a week (and in few cases even shorter!) the turn-around is often within a couple of weeks at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was urged to query "Sydney's Story," but I just could not wait to see the book in print and out there on its own feet (Dylan Thomas called his poems out in the world, "poor little lyrical cripples, can you imagine?") Traditional pub takes months and months. I'll let you know how it sells and if I feel I should have waited. . .maybe it should be a combined volume, A Tale of Two Cities and Sydney's Story, the prequel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several of my fans have suggested that I go through the traditional process of querying for "Sydney's Story," but I was simply to anxious for the book to stand on its own feet (Did you know Dylan Thomas called his published poems, out in the world without him, "little lyrical cripples"?)
    Anyway, I am glad to have Sydney's Story, the prequel to A Tale of Two Cities self-pubbed and live. I am not patient about the process once the book is finished to go a couple years before the book is available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choose between my two comments--I didn't get the visible after approval note until the second one went through.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.