About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Using QR Codes in E-Books

I often run a Q&A a la Ann Landers in my Sharing with Writers newsletter. I thought I'd recycle this one to my blog because it shows how confused even veteran marketers still are about how to use them.  Those who would like to subscribe to the letter that comes directly to your e-mail box may send me an e-mail with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line and I'll do it for you. The address is HoJoNews@aol.com

Q&A a la Ann Landers

Using QR Codes in E-Books?


Question on a blog I write at BookBuzzr.com:

  1. Great info, Carolyn. I’ll share this everywhere! Authors need to know stuff like this.

Is there QR code automatically embedded in some of the more interactive of the conversion softwares, such as epub?

I’ll definitely check out your link for getting a f ree QRCode. Thanks again for all your informative articles and books. Very helpful!

Aggie Villaneuva

Answer:

To make this as simple as possible, Aggie. A QR (quick response) code can direct people to ANYTHING you can put on a Web page, an autoresponder or on a recording for a phone line (and maybe a lot more.  If you go to the new edition of the The Frugal Book Promoter, I know you have a copy!--www.budurl.com/FrugalBkPromo), it gives you lots more information on this. Once you start to explore the sites where you sign up for a free code, you'll see what I mean. I know you are tech savvy. This is going to be a cinch for you.

BTW, I’m suggesting here you make that discount more than 10% on your new e-book. I know you'll get many more results from the campaign if you do. Or do a double-bubble. 10% Off and a free white paper. I know you have tons of those!

And, I'd use QR Codes to lead to:

  • Discounts
  • Resources
  • The buy pages of your other books (you are listing your other books in the backmatter, aren't you?)

Having said that, I think the greatest use for them is to expose a lot of material to people who don't have time for a lot of material--people on the run with their smartphones in their pockets. (-:


Best,

Carolyn
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

6 comments:

  1. Thankx so much Carolyn! You are great. Since I asked these questions I've done a lot of research. And even had a programmer design the first in a line of mobile apps for authors (in fact I'm selling them!) and I got to utilize a QR Code right away with it.

    If anyone with an Android compatible smartphone goes here and scans my QR Code with my image in the middle of it, it will download my free app to their phone. http://www.mybookmarketingsystems.com/getyourownauthorapps/android-author-app/

    I love QR Codes now, and I'm trying to think of all kinds of amazing feats to do with them. Check out what JC Penny did with them this past Christmas! http://mashable.com/2011/11/10/j-c-penney-qr-codes/

    Thankx again Carolyn not only for all your information but you're constant inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aggie, love the code with your picture in it. Want to share where one goes to get a code like that? One could use their book's title in it, too! (-:

    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get the difference between QR codes and links?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a way they are the same thing. QR codes are photographable (is that a word?) though. And when someone uses, say, an iPhone at a book fair to photograph it, it takes them directly to wherever the person who has the QR code wants them to go. Also, QR codes are cute and new! (-:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sure I'd love to share that, Carolyn. That QR Code comes with the author mobile app(s) I'm selling. Full details about it here: http://www.mybookmarketingsystems.com/getyourownauthorapps/android-author-app/

    Just scroll down the page to read whichever details you're interested in!

    Hi Mary Jo:

    QR Codes can do a whole progressions of actions, such as in the cool JC Penny code I linked to above. And my own code which automatically downloads my free app to a smartphone.

    Carolyn will be able to explain it much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched the video and this is really amazing.

    Financial Aid
    Online Masters degree

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.