Monday, April 04, 2011

Coke Cake, Marketing, Birthdays, and Your Book

Coca Cola sent me a birthday wish. It is well protected, meaning I can't copy it for you here. But it is a great recipe for a birthday cake that includes 1 Cup Coke.  You should know that this is special fun for me because my father was the manager of a Coke company in Utah and I am  a big Coke fan. But I'm also a fan because Coca Cola is practically the father of great marketing. I borrow their marketing ideas (ideas can't be copyrighted!) all the time. 

Anyway, now I’m thinking of adding a chapter to my memoir using this recipe. The memoir is now being shopped by agent Terrie Wolfe. It is called Here’s How I Don’t Cook. Seems a perfect inspiration, no?

I hope all subscribers and visitors to this blog use this birthday wish idea an example of a great marketing device. How could you use a similar idea by incorporating an ingredient used somewhere in your book as part of a recipe you send to friends and readers on their birthdays as a reminder of your book and as a way to stay connected to them. 

So help me celebrate. Have a piece of virtual Coke Cake and think again about your book promotion. If you do that, it willbe your special gift to me. You know how I love it when authors put on their promotion bonnets! (-: 

PS: If you want to see the recipe in all its glory, subscribe to my newsletter by sending an e-mail to me with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. HoJoNews@aol.com.  I think the image/recipe is going to come throough in the pdf version of the next issue.


-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

Search This Blog