About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tips for Busting Through Writer’s Block from Dallas Woodburn



Today I've featuring a special guest. Dallas Woodburn and I have the same alma mater but maybe a dozen or so generations apart. (-: I first met her online and then later she attended some of my presentations. I was immediately impressed at the head start she had on her writing career. I know you'll agree she is wise beyond her years.


Guest blogged by Dallas Woodburn

Is your story in a rut? Are you feeling stuck? Writer’s block is a problem that most every writer has to deal with. It can be so frustrating! Here are some ideas that might help you get through it:

* Set your story aside for a couple of weeks and work on something else. Sometimes, like a watched pot that never boils, a story idea never comes when we are fretting over it. In my experience, the best ideas for my stories often arrive when I am thinking about something else -- walking my dog, cooking dinner, browsing a farmer’s market.

* Is there a later part of the story you want to write or know what’s going to happen, but the middle is tripping you up? Sometimes writers know the beginning and the end, but not the middle. If this is the case for your story, my advice would be to skip forward and write the ending. Then, you can go back and write the middle – ideas might come to you once the ending is in place.

* Sometimes I get blocked when I am at a “fork in the road” in my story: there are multiple routes my story could take, and I'm not sure which one is the “right” one. If you suspect this is the case for your subconscious, I would try just picking one route – one way the story could go, one thing that could happen next – and write that. Just see what happens! If it doesn’t feel right, you can always go back and change it. But maybe it will be the thing to get you through the block.

* Try putting yourself in your character’s head. Let her or him take the reins of the story. Close your eyes and really get inside that character. What are they thinking, feeling, worrying, wondering, fearing? What would they do next in this situation they are in? Try to “freewrite” without thinking too much or editing yourself. Write for eight or ten minutes without stopping. Then, see what you have. Maybe it will be enough to re-start the story again.

* Try something new. Nothing fills my “idea well” more quickly than traveling – experiencing new things, embarking on new adventures, meeting new people. But even if you don’t have a vacation or trip planned for the near future, you can still rejuvenate your creative life by trying new things. Learn a recipe for a different type of food than you usually eat. Dabble in a different art form, such as painting or music.

* Change up your routine. Walk or bicycle rather than drive to work or school. When you slow down your daily trip a bit, little things like hummingbirds, squirrels, and the unique hue of the sky on a particular day seem to stand out. Take a notebook with you to jot down notes when you feel inspired.

Hope these ideas help you bust through the dam of writer's block so your river of words can run freely!

BIO:
Dallas Woodburn is the author of two collections of short stories and a forthcoming novel. Her short fiction has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize and has appeared in Monkeybicycle, Arcadia Journal, flashquake, and The Newport Review, among others. She has also written more than 80 articles for national publications including Family Circle, Writer’s Digest, CO-ED, Justine, and The Los Angeles Times, and she writes a regular column for Listen magazine. Dallas is the founder of the nonprofit organization “Write On! For Literacy” that has donated more than 11,000 new books to disadvantaged children. Her latest endeavor is starting a publishing company, Write On! Books, that publishes the work of young writers. In addition, she hosts frequent writing contests, teaches writing camps for kids, and is Youth Director of the Small Publishers, Artists and Writers Network (SPAWN). Dallas studied creative writing at the University of Southern California and at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. Contact her at her website www.writeonbooks.org or blog http://dallaswoodburn.blogspot.com.
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor .

If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about it:

17 comments:

  1. Dallas, you give some great advice for busting through writer's block. So much wisdom at such a young age!

    I've never experienced it. I actually have writer's A.D.D. - too many directions and too little time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with writer's block but quite the opposite - too many storylines floating in my head. But you gave some sound advice. Truly enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your advice about letting the characters drive for a while. My best work happens when I hop in the back seat and let them take me on the ride. Although I know where we're going, I don't always know how to get there. Thankfully, they always do. Nice job, girls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! :) I often have writers' block and get stuck because I don't know where to go from that point. I've learned that a basic outline works really well--just to know what I want in the book and where I'm going :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What insightful advice. I like your distinction of having a story in a rut or at crossroads within a story.

    I agree Carolyn, Dallas is certainly wise beyond her years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little stuck in the middle, but I've outlined the beginning and end. Maybe I'll just start writing and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice for writer's block. It's not one of my problems, but I'll remember the tips when it happens. Thanks, Carolyn, for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't get writer's block, but I will mention this next week in my roundup post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tips. Thanks. I'll have to keep these handy during those writers block moments.
    Martha Swirzinksi

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to see you here Dallas! I remembered when you were 16 and already pursuing your writer dreams. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips, Dallas. I use some of them myself, especially when I feel like my story could go in several different directions like you mentioned. I think that is the hardest block of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the great tips Dallas. I love the one about going on vacation!!!! I just hope my husband agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only had writer's block when we had just moved and I couldn't find anything in my unfamiliar office. But many of the ideas Dallas suggests are helpful for plotting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dallas, great suggestions, especially the one about setting the piece aside for a while -- I'm SO reluctant to do that -- when I'm stuck (on anything, really, not just writing) I'm like a dog worrying a bone -- have a hard time giving it up. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes it's best just to let things go for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and comments! Carolyn, you know how much I admire you and it is really a delight to be featured on your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your tips on how to overcome writers block. Great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was fired from my first job as assistant editor of a magazine because of a blockage that kept me from writing the first sentence of a major cover story for two weeks.

    The first sentence or first paragraph are so important, that they can induce fear and paralysis.

    On my second job, I developed a detour around the block: when stuck, move on to the second sentence or second paragraph, and then come back.

    Since the beginning is often an introduction to what follows, it's often easier to write the intro once you know what you will be introducing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.