About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Utilize Your Association with Sharing with Writers for Marketing and Publishing


Those of you who are subscribed to this Sharing with Writers blog or my Sharing with Writers newsletter are entitled to access and to submit material to them, to the resources on HowToDoItFrugally.com, and to be published in the various features of the newsletter itself. Your submissions are given special consideration (but you do need to tell me that you're a subscriber--I'd like to, but I don't have the lists memorized! (-: )

Because I have many new subscribers and because most of you have never submitted any of your successes or sent letters to the editor, I thought I'd remind you that they are meant to be interactive. So is the Web site. I am always looking for articles, resources and ideas that will help other writers. I also want them to provide a training ground to get new authors familiar with promoting, sharing (an essential part of getting publicity), and to help you get the exposure you deserve.

Here are just a few of the possibilities for you to consider:

 If you would like one of your articles to be included on this Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites blog (see the image on this blog), the best thing to submit is an article on the craft of writing or promotion or editing. I generally prefer practical how-to information though I occasionally publish something that will inspire writers, too. www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com.

 Submit a review of your book to be published in The New Book Review www.thenewbookreview.blogspot.com. It may be written by you or someone else (with their permission). If you don't yet have a review of your book, I can use a short excerpt from your book or a synopsis written like a review but with no opinion (because it would be coming from you). BTW, The New Book Review is open to all of you at any time you need it. Please follow the guidelines for submission in the column on the left of the blog EXACTLY. You submit to my e-mail address, hojonews @ aol.com.

 If you have or would like to write an article on editing, formatting, grammar or other language-oriented essays, I can use that on www.thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com. Your articles for this blog should also be practical and, as with any magazine, not on subjects I've already used. Or they should at least come at those subject from a different angle.

 Some of you may have an interest in submitting articles or ideas on tolerance or the military. Those could could go on www.warpeacetolerance.blogspot.com. This might be a place some of you poets would like to appear. On this one, I often feed from several other blogs to that one post is almost like being posted on several blogs at one time.

 I can use your tips, letters-to-the-editor and articles for my newsletter. As you know, you should be familiar with any periodical or journal you submit to so that you have an idea of what is likely to fit.

 There are Resources for Writers and Resources for Readers pages on the HowToDoItFrugally Web site including many lists that you will need throughout your publishing career. Display and classified advertising is also available there and I have kept costs to a bare minimum for the time it takes me to work up and install ads.

Note: I accept most everything submitted to me from subscribers, but I do reserve the right to edit, shorten, or suggest changes. That, too, does not differ from most freelance writing experiences.

PS: Please let your writing friends know about this letter and its associated benefits. They may subscribe by going sending a SUBSCRIBE message to HoJoNews @ aol.com. Or by using the autosubscribe window at www.howtodoitfrugally.com. The form is on the left side of the home page and on the newsletter/blog pages, too.


-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widge to let them know about it:

6 comments:

  1. ooo!
    I will get back to you on a couple of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:35 AM

    As always good info. Will be in touch. Allyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks,Carolyn. I'd love to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder, Carolyn. I intend to submit soon. Two questions:

    1. On the New Book Review site, can the book be newly published?

    2. Does it matter if it's self-published?

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping you all will participate! Karen, old books or new. Published any way you want. If someone loves your book enough for them to want to give it a great review, then others will love it, too. I believe in inclusiveness and I know of MANY great self- and subsidy-published books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff, HoJo, and thanks for the reminder. I bookmarked the permalink to this post - I have lots of stuff I could submit.

    Marvin D Wilson

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.