About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Demystifying Virtual Book Tours

When I decided to work with Mayra Calvani on a virtual book tour, little did I know that she would be so full of information--and so generous. Actually, I did have an inkling because I'd worked with her before. The real news is, I couldn't decide what to publish. She graciously allowed to me publish several of her articles. This is her second. The first on Halloween promoting may still be found (on the 17th of Sept. And watch for the one coming up on October 3rd, too! You won't be disappointed!


Demystifying Virtual Book Tours
By Mayra Calvani


These days, when it comes to book promotion, virtual book tours (from here on in we'll call them VBTs) seem to be the hottest thing on the net. I’m not surprised. In fact, whoever invented them was a genius.

VBTs allow you to make your name and book visible to thousands of people without having to spend a fortune or ever leaving your home. All you need is a computer and internet connection, and all you have to do is get a bunch of bloggers to host you on their blog while you sit in front of the screen with a nice beverage and enjoy the show… Well, not quite.

Yes, you do need bloggers to host you. And yes, you may sit at the computer with a nice beverage and enjoy the tour. But unless you hire a publicist to plan and coordinate your VBT, doing it yourself will take considerable time and effort. Did I say considerable? Let’s put it this way: Be prepare to spend A LOT of time at the computer, not only answering interviews and writing guest posts, but also making sure everything is moving according to plan.

To promote the release of my first children’s picture book, The Magic Violin, which came out last November, I went on a VBT in December. The tour began on December 1st and culminated on Christmas Day, when I gave away a $20 Amazon gift certificate to a lucky winner. Since the book had a Christmas theme, timing was perfect.

Though I had hired a publicist for another tour earlier in October (this one for another book), this time I decided to take on the whole project myself. From one side, the idea felt daunting; from another, I told myself: ‘If I can get at least 15 kind-hearted bloggers to host me, I can do this.’

Since I wanted the tour to start on December 1st, I started planning in early November (I recommend planning at least 2 months in advance).

So the first step when planning a VBT is deciding when you want the tour to take place. You must also have an idea of how many tour stops you’d like to make. For one-month tours, I recommend at least 15-17 stops. Some VBTs may last one week (these are called Mini VBTs); some two weeks; others two whole months. It all depends on how much time, work and commitment you’re willing to give.

Next, prepare a schedule.

This was my schedule during the month of November:

Four Weeks Before the Tour

• Bought a monthly calendar with big squares and enough writing space to help me coordinate tour stops. (This was very helpful in helping me see the whole tour from above.)

• Made a list of possible hosts—authors/bloggers I know, bloggers I admire, reviewers who are also bloggers, bloggers who keep blogs related to my book’s theme/content, etc.

• Made a list of groups/forums where I could announce my VBT and ask for hosts. In my case, these were www.gather.com, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/publishingandpromoting, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Latino-Hispanicwriters4Kids, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/childrens-writers, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/childrenswriterstoday, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PumpUpYourBookPromotion, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/booksweloveauthors, and www.facebook.com.

• Wrote a ‘template’ message to use for contacting hosts. (This included a short intro, info about my book with links to the cover and blurb, my request to be hosted on their blogs, etc).

Note: I requested not only interviews, but also guest posts and reviews. Reviews are great tools of book promotion and you can always use them later. Keep in mind not all reviewers will agree to read e-books and you may have to send them print copies. When you contact the hosts, make sure to tell them you would be delighted to return their favor in the future (You better keep your promise, too! This is all about helping each other, after all). Also, let them know you’ll be aggressively promoting the tour, thus bringing traffic to their blogs.

Three Weeks Before the Tour

• Began receiving responses from bloggers, agreeing on dates, and recording the information on the calendar. The information included the name of the blog, the host’s name, and whether or not it was for an interview, guest post or review.
• Began completing interviews.
• Sent review copies to reviewers
• Started looking for possible material to be used as guest posts. For one host, I used an old article. For another, I wrote a new one.

Two Weeks Before the Tour

• Continued answering interview questions and sending them to the hosts (These interviews can be very time consuming, so don’t leave them for the last minute!)
• Continued preparing/writing guest posts.

A note about interviews: Try to keep the interviews fresh, offering links and information. After a few interviews, they tend to sound boring and repetitive because the hosts’ questions are often similar. For one of the interviews (http://www.sueeves.com/2007/12/interview-with-author-mayra-calvani-by.html), I incorporated a video of a famous violinist playing Vivaldi’s “Winter”, the piece mentioned in my book. Make sure your answers aren’t too long either. People have busy lives and will not spend hours reading an interview. On the other hand, make sure most of your interview answers aren’t one-liners. My favorite combination for interviews is a mixture of short, witty answers with longer, more thoughtful ones.

One Week Before the Tour

• Continued to answer and send off interviews.

• Double checked the calendar to make sure all was in order—especially dates.

• Posted the complete VBT schedule on the main page of my website and blog. To see my schedule, go to: http://mayrassecretbookcase.blogspot.com/2007/11/win-20-amazon-certificate-on-christmas.html

• Send a reminder to all your hosts. (For this purpose, it’s practical to put your hosts’ contact info in a separate e-mail folder and to e-mail them together when needed).

The First Day of the Tour

• Announced the tour to everybody I know—friends, relatives, colleagues, groups, and forums—inviting them to take a look and follow me about the blogosphere by providing a link to the complete schedule and mentioning the prize giveaway at the end.
• Made sure the links to the blogs on my VBT schedule were hyperlinked correctly.

During the Tour

• On the day of each stop, I announced the new post to all my contacts— including all the groups mentioned before.
• Visited each tour stop to read the comments and interact with the people who wrote them, which meant writing comments myself.

Interacting with the public was great fun and, in fact, I was quite overwhelmed with the response I received. Some people followed my tour from beginning to end, and for that I was deeply grateful. Some posts received close to 20 comments, the highest some of the bloggers had got for any of their posts so far. All together, I think I got over 120 comments. On Christmas, the day of the prize giveaway, I made a hand-written list of all the people who’d left comments in order to draw a winner. Once chosen, I announced the winner’s name on my blog. Being able to give the prize on Christmas Day was extra fun.
Final Tips:

• One week before the tour starts, send a press release to your local newspapers/stations and online directories. I didn’t do this with my December tour but plan to do it with all future ones.
• If possible, tie your VBT with a holiday. November and December are great months for Christmas books; October for scary/paranormal books, and so on.
• Don’t just think ‘kit lit blogs’. Think of your niche audience. I realized this late in the tour, so I didn’t have time to search for violin-related blogs. For my next tour, I plan to contact dog/puppy/pet care blogs, since my book will be about a boy caring and finding a name for his new puppy.
• Offer a gift on the last day of your tour to motivate people to follow you around the blogosphere and leave comments on your stops. Never give a copy of the book you’re promoting. If people think they might win it at the end, they won’t buy it. Prizes may include gift certificates, goody baskets, other books, and even free critiques!
• Visit your own tour stops on a daily basis in order to interact with the visitors and answer their questions, if any.
• Always thank your hosts. After the tour, thank them again and offer to return their favor in the future.
• It’s human to forget. Two or three days before a tour stop, send a polite reminder to the host.
• Be prepared to be flexible. Some times the tour stops may not take place as planned and dates must be changed at the last minute.
• Don’t think just interviews. Keep your tour varied—interviews (may be audio, too!), guest posts, reviews.
• Keep the complete VBT schedule on your site and/or blog and update it on a daily basis, adding links and/or hyperlinks as necessary.

Once the tour has ended, put your feet up and celebrate with a glass of champagne. You’ve earned it! Oh, and send a thank you to those who hosted your tour!


Guest Blogger Bio

Today's guest blogger Mayra Calvani is a multi-genre author, reviewer and animal advocate. She enjoys writing for children and adults. A regular contributor to Blogcritics Magazine and American Chronicle, she's a member of SCBWI, CWCC and Broad Universe. She keeps two blogs, Mayra's Secret Bookcase (http://mayrassecretbookcase.blogspot.com/) and The Dark Phantom Review (http://thedarkphantom.wordpress.com/).

Additionally, she's the co-author of the ForeWord Best of the Year Award winner, The Slippery Art of Book Reviewing. (http://slipperybookreview.wordpress.com/).

Visit her newest, fun blog, Pets and Their Authors (http://petsandauthors.blogspot.com/), where her golden retriever interviews authors' pets.

Mayra does Spanish translations of children's picture books and is the National Latino Books Examiner for Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/x-6309-Latino-Books-Examiner).

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , ,



-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

17 comments:

  1. That is an excellent check list, Mayra! The mix of interviews, guest posts, and reviews is essential - and giveaways!
    After five tours (my fifth starts this Sunday) I learned to start booking dates three months in advance. Bloggers with 400 or more followers tend to be booked several months out and it gives reviewers time to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article Mayra. Diane, you are right too. Blogs with a lot of traffic fill up fast. Now that VBTs are so popular, authors are clamoring for spots at these great blogs.

    Mayra, the points about length of interviews and keeping them fresh are so important. I would say the same thing for excerpts. Oftentimes we have clients who send whole chapters for excerpts. That might work if it's a short chapter, but not if it is pages long.

    One other thing to remember is to try and make things as easy on the blog host as possible. Don't make them go searching for cover art, your photo and bio, a synopsis of the book, or anything else they might need to host you. In addition, ask them if they have a preferred format--certain font style and size, how they want titles to appear (all caps or italics), indenting or flush with the left margin, etc.

    The easier you make it for bloggers to host you, the more likely they are willing to do it again when your next book comes out.

    Thanks for sharing these tips. Everyone planning their own VBT should read them.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent blog post on VBTs, Mayra! Cheryl made some great points, also. It's time involved no matter if you do it yourself or hire someone, but Mayra has seen both sides of it - we did one (or two?) of her tours and she's done the rest by herself and she has done an excellent job doing it herself. She understands to start early and what kind of tour she wants. She has the contacts for pet blogs that maybe you or I don't have. Network early. Mayra has been on the scene for years and has built up a great networking community which comes in handy later on down the road. And I do want to throw out a howdy to Carolyn...she does a great job building up her community, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post on virtual book tours. It's wonderful to have this group of committed professionals who put on a tour once a month. It's a great way to get your name and book known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Mayra, great stuff. I'm going to save this to my favorites as there is a lot to assimilate, and one reading will not suffice. Thanks.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  6. This checklist impresses me. If I may, I'll swipe it to use with my writers.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for dropping by to learn from Mayra. We always know we can learn something from her. And Dorothy and Cheryl, thank you for contributing even more. So much to learn. So little time. Thank heavens for blogs. (-:

    Your host,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mayra:

    Fantastic write-up on VBT's. I'm printing and saving it for future use. All important points, ones not to forget. Thank you!

    Regards,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway Story book Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mayra, I read the entire article! I don't always when the posts get rather long. This is all good advice, and as I am looking to having my book released, I realize I need to be setting up dates with folks. Great points!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can tell Myra's been around and knows what she's doing. That is an excellent article on doing a successful VBT. Nice job, both of you, on this feature post!

    The Old Silly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great article. There are many useful tips here - and providing the schedule you used is super - thanks for sharing!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great info-made a copy for use later. I also learned from the comments-that's a first.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a helpful post. I made myself a copy to refer to whenever I get brave enough to plan a tour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carolyn and everyone!

    It's weird, yesterday I left a comment but it seems it never went through.

    I wanted to thank everyone for stoppingby and taking the time to comment and also to Carolyn for hosting me. It's always an honor to be a guest on her blog.

    I'm glad the post was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, excellent check list, Mayra! Thank you so much for sharing... and thank you Carolyn for hosting Mayra!

    ~Barbara Techel
    Author & Proud Mom of Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog
    http://www.joyfulpaws.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Carolyn,
    Thanks for always providing great information. You are the bomb.

    Mayra,
    Shame on you for condoning drinking champagne! It gives me an awful headache. Have any good mixed drink recipes? =+)
    This was great infomation. My book isn't out until sometime in the winter, but I'm already working on my tour. this helps a lot.
    Blessings,
    J. Aday Kennedy
    The Differently-Abled Children's Author
    www.jadaykennedy.com
    http://jadaykennedy.blogspot.com/
    www.facebook.com/jadaykennedy
    Coming this winter “Klutzy Kantor” picture book
    http://klutzykantor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mayra, lots of great info--I need to print it out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.