About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, June 19, 2009

Getting You Past the "I Don't Get Twitter" Stage


The Road to “Getting” Twitter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time magazine quoted the CEO of Twitter because even he says most people don’t get Twitter when they first start using it.

I certainly didn’t get Twitter at first. I just liked it because it was fast. Well, it isn’t nearly as fast as I thought it was. Not if you’re doing it right. And by “right” I mean using it in a way that advances your writing career and exposes the title of your book.

It occurred to me that the reason most people who aren’t using it (and lots who are) don’t get it is because of that saying in the posting window that says “what are you doing now?” I’m pretty sure no one who follows you ("follows" is ther term Twitter uses rather than the words "fans" or "friends" on Facebook) expects you to tell them you’re having maple syrup on your pancakes unless you wrote a cookbook and can link back to a section that tells people how to make substitute maple syrup in your own kitchen. Or unless you're using Twitter purely to communicate personal stuff to friends you already have.

So, in this blog post I'm giving authors some ideas. If you're here, you're probably an author. So these are idea for what you could tweet about if you signed up with Twitter (that part IS really easy and fast!). Maybe it will help you get an inkling of how you might use it for your book. In general, no matter how you tweet, try to be helpful to others. Even your writing is about how you can entertain or help others, right? Make your Twitter about those same things!

~Yes, you can talk about your book! And about what’s happening to you in terms of marketing your book. That includes your speaking, your reviews, your signings, etc.

~Tell your followers what you think of a product or another book. Preferably your choices should relate to your promotion campaign. Example. I tweet movie reviews. I mention aspects of the movies for authors to look at that might improve their own writing skills--characterization, pacing, etc. That relates to my editing but it also relates to the fact that I once wrote complete reviews for the Glendale News-Press and sort of miss doing it! And most everyone is interested in movies.

~As your get more followers (and the number of your followers will get bigger if you work it), it becomes impossible to read all your followers’ tweets. Use http://www.tweetdeck.com and manage your Tweet account. Follow the ones closely who provide information you need consistently and mostly ignore the rest. Sorry, but that’s the reality, folks. It’s one reason you want to talk about more than the fact that you are tired and going to bed.

~As you get more followers, it’s OK to repeat your tweets. I try to reword and re-slant them, though. You can use a handy little tool called Tweet Later (http://www.tweetlater.com) to do that.

~Feed your blog to Twitter. This is sort of an advanced process and you need to use RSS feeds to do it. If you don't know how to do that, put this idea on a back burner for later. Be sure the first 140 character of each blog is meaningful so people on Twitter get what you’re tweeting about! Use www.tweetlater.com to do this.

~Post your media releases and other longer stuff on http://www.twitwall.com first. It’s so easy you won’t need any tutorial. It’s easy to use a picture with these posts, too.

~Advanced users can share music and videos. Twitter users will appreciate them more if they are short. Don't worry about this for a while. Just enjoy.

~Help writer friends by tweeting about what they are doing, especially when what they are doing will help your followers. This is probably the most important advice in this blog. Please take it to heart.
~Offer advice in your field of expertise. You know how I like tips. I offer lots of tips on Twitter, too.

~When you learn new things about Twitter, tweet about it. There will be followers who will help you advance with your tweeting skills but there will also be newbies who can benefit from your experiences.

~Follow people who follow you. When it becomes too hectic, use Tweetdeck.com to organize your tweets.

~Network. I tweet regularly about the agents, bookstores, and reviewers I find on Twitter so my followers can learn more about them.

~Use www.tweetchat.com for chats of your own design. I’ve presented chats with a new tweeting friend @zimblermiller (that’s her Twitter address) on book proposals and query letters with more to come. (-: BTW, you'll see certain tweets with the number sign in them like #bkpro. Those are the chat entries that also come up on the twitter board. Occasionally they don't make sense because you haven't been following the whole thread, but occasionally they have little jewels in them--stuff you'll really be glad to know. Those hashmarks can mean something else, too. They become a keyword code for people to find tweets on specific subjects.

It is obvious that you can learn a lot from people who tweet like this. So tweeting is not only about... well, tweeting. It’s also about listening. Find me tweeting at http://www.twitter.com/frugalbookpromo. If you should be a retailer as well as a writer, find me at http://twitter.com/frugalretailing.

And that brings me to my last point. Keep your tweet accounts relatively focused on the marketing job at hand.

This blog is a reprint from my Sharing with Writers newsletter. To subscribe use the subscribe window in the left column of this blog or e-mail me at HoJoNews @ aol.com. Please put SUBSCRIBE in the subject window.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , ,




-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Carolyn. I will bookmark this to use as a resource! I am one of those folks slowly "getting" it. Here's a fun one. After learning how to use hashtags (putting # in front of a word for search purposes), I picked up a new follower. I immediately recognized the name. He was the person someone else had recommended to me (to purchase a product). So...the person I am planning to purchase something from started following me based on my hashtag in one post. Ha!

    Others have found people to collaborate with, etc., etc. I'm finally getting it and can't wait to use more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn:

    Thanks for the reminder tips on twittering. Much appreciated.

    Best wishes,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carolyn,

    What great info. I have to start utilizing all the twitter features. I just never seem to have time to do everything. I did try Tweetlater, but at the time I was too tired to figure it out.

    One problem I have encountered is that people keep following which makes following the folks you want to more difficult. I'll have to use the Twitter organizer for that also.

    I'm going to save this article and use it to get going!

    Karen Cioffi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, forgot to mention, I love the picture!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips, but you don't have to follow back everybody who follows you - and some people you want to block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent article.

    However, I don't follow everyone who follows me. In fact, about 1 in 4 newbies I block.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing is, you never know what the motivation is for their choosing to follow you Roberta. Maybe they're interested in your writing. Plus there are easy tools to use that just follow everyone. Then, if someone says something inapproporiate, I will unfollow. But not block. That might tip off Twitter to close them down and I don't want to do that, even if I don't agree with,say, their politics or you know...ahem. (-: Unfollow is usually good enough. It closes down their ability to message you

    Thank for coming by to comment.

    Hope that explains why I think everyone (or most everyone) should be allowed to follow. Twitter is more about INclusion than exclusion--unless you're using your account for personal reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.