About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Hill Kemp on Creativity after 60

I have been intrigued by how different my years as an older person are from what I expected. I think of Prill Boyle's blog "Defying Gravity" as I say that. When Hill Kemp, a former politician and fellow contributor to the anthology Secrets II sent me an e-mail on his experiences as a writer and other creative pursuits, I felt compelled to share it with you.

CREATIVITY AND A 60-YEAR PUZZLE

By Hill Kemp

I have been exploring the subject of creativity lately. That’s a topic dear to authors. Creativity and perseverance are two keys to successful novel writing.

It seems now that I’m in my 60's, I am compulsive about creativity and I’m wondering why. I'm working on three book projects, written verses to the Bach melody to which Sir Walter Scott penned "Ave Maria," and obtained patent on a process addressing a dilemma with which Aristotle struggled. I have developed method to increase the fleet gas mileage of the entire country 10 - 15%. I’ve even conceived a new bullet.

So, why, I ask, is this all coming up now? To that end, I began to muse over the lyrics to “Puff the Magic Dragon”. Odd, I know. Peter, Paul and Mary have never assigned a meaning of the song. They say it’s just a “children’s story”.

When I revisited those words, I came up with a meaning of my own. Perhaps that’s what the lyricists wanted by not being specific. That playful, creative, frolicking and mischievous aspect seen in so many 3-year-olds seemed important to me in terms of my new-found approach to joy.

Our system of socialization affects a huge percent of the population by killing that "Puff" quality that occurs naturally in children. Parents, teachers--our culture in general--do it with a death of a thousand tiny cuts. They say,


"Don't act like a baby."

"When are you going to grow up?"

"That's not the way a young lady/gentleman acts."

“Behave yourself!”

The death of a thousand cuts tends to be permanent, closing Puff into the cave brick by brick (to mix the metaphor).

My metaphorical Puff was flung violently into his cave at age 4 by a father who was “Don’t spare the rod.” on steroids. My amateur theory is that while my Puff/playful nature was violently tossed into its cave, it went in there WHOLE. Now that my life has freed me sufficiently, my Puff is available to me closer to how it was in the full, powerful state I was born with. After all “a dragon lives forever.” I can’t seem to turn it off.

So instead of Puff having something to do with marijuana, it may point to a societal tragedy. Note Puff and Jackie are the same age or nearly so. Puff is very powerful but is completely vulnerable to abandonment from Jackie. The fun and fantasy of childhood “make way for other toys.” etc.


This point of view has been extremely helpful to me. I hope you gain from it too. It’s a message for authors, but maybe more importantly for parents and grandparents. I would love to include the lyrics for you here but more of culture’s rules won’t allow that, even attributed. But you may review the famous words (and story) at http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/PUFF-THE-MAGIC-DRAGON-lyrics-Peter-Paul-Mary/0269E9BB59A971FB48256A220025645C.
-----

Hill Kemp is an author and inventor. He wrote:

A Lone Star Special, UPC 9781935137450

Capitol Offense, ISBN 1-878096-70-2

Lucky Penny, UPC 9781933090870

He contributed to:

Secrets, Fact or Fiction?, UPC 9780973728255

Secrets, Fact or Fiction?, II, UPC 9781595940629


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , ,



-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

6 comments:

  1. Such a sweet surprise to wake up and find my blog mentioned on yours. Thanks, Carolyn. And thanks as well for sharing HK's provocative interpretation of "Puff." I always loved that Peter, Paul and Mary tune! He's so right, by the way, about creativity and perseverance being keys to novel writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the post, Carolyn. And I am also a fan of Prill's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnaks for the insightful post, Hill.
    I agree that with the way, society works, the way it is set up, we as parents and teachers many times crush our kids' creativity. For instance, when kids say, 'I want to become an artist', most people will respond: 'You won't be able to make any money'. It's sad. At the same time, I want to give my kids the best possible advice in this difficult world we live in. Hard to find the balance. It's tough.

    Mayra
    http://petsandauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hill, this is a great article on creativity. When I was growing up, the popular take on our friend Puff was that the song spoke of marijuana, which always disappointed me because I loved the song. Glad to hear there are other things we can ascribe to that fun song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie, Prill, Mayra and Allyn: Thanks for your nice comments. I too am glad to retrieve that song from the drug label it got when it came out. I'm sure there are many interpretations, but this one really landed with me and several of us authors. Let's get/keep more kid's "Puff's" out and creating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hill

    I agree with you about Puff. I think it takes "old age" to set him free. That's when we learn all of that stuff they told us just isn't that important. LOL.

    Shari
    http://sharilyle-soffe.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.