About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Rant: Let's Cheer for the Loss of Hyphens

An Answer to My Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies Pal


In today's issue (Oct. 3) of the Glendale News-Press, June Casagrande, "A Word, Please" columnist, noted the sad (or not-so sad) loss of the hyphen due to the influence of the Web. Technology has thrust all manner of bad grammar habits onto those who love correct English. Many of these habits are enumerated in The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Some are worried that the hyphen may go extinct! Well, I for one will cheer.

As June--who is also the author of Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies --notes, the Brits don't agree with Americans on some points of hyphen-using anyway. Worse the style guides can't agree and the dictionaries don't either.

But the Net is promulgating worse than just this distressing disappearing-hyphen syndrome. It has encouraged us to push all kinds of words together. That comes from what I call the "domain name influence." Or domainnameinfluence, if you will. Book or bookcover? Bookfair or book fair. Backmatter or back matter? Hard copy or hardcopy? You get the idea.

Even with the zero-tolerance approach to grammar I use to keep authors out of hot water with agents and publishers (and therefore make it more likely they'll get published), I am making combined-word style choices everywhere else but in query letters.

Simply put, I love to stick words together. Word-bonding is a time-honored tradition in English. As an example, the word therefore. So word-gluing is sort of back to the Germanic roots we came from! (The Germans use Fingerhut for finger hat--or, in translation, thimble).

Poets have pushed words together for ages, too. So, do I care? Not a whit. In my deepest recesses, I think grammar snobs are great big meanies, too. It's just that I don't want any of my readers to get caught in a net spread by those meanies--and they are everywhere waiting to put a kink in your career.

Back to the zero-tolerance thing. If you want to impress a literary agent or prospective boss, please don't put hyphens in words they are convinced are correct only one way. They believe it's nonfiction, not non-fiction. Though I don't get a red squiggle with either version of the word on my Amazon wordspeller 'cause it isn't as fussy as your run-of-the-mill agent or future employer will be.
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author THIS IS THE PLACE; HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED; TRACINGS, a chapbook of poetry; and two how-to books, THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T; and THE FRUGAL EDITOR: PUT YOUR BEST BOOK FORWARD TO AVOID HUMILIATION AND ENSURE SUCCESS.
Her other blogs include TheNewBookReview and Authors Coalition, a blog that helps writers and publishers turn a ho-hum book fair booth into a sizzler.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Carolyn, I love this post and I, too, love my hyphens! But I see the point of your advice here. Nice blog. I have linked you on my blogroll. See it at www.eavesdropwriter.blogspot.com if you like. Vienne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn,
    I would just as soon do without the hyphen because it slows down my typing. However, "internet addresses" are also making it difficult to remember correct spellings.

    But if you are a good reader and speller, there should not be any probelms. For instance your blog's name Sharingwithwriters can easily be interpreted by good readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:54 PM

    Once we surrender to disappearing-hyphen syndrome (disappearinghyphen syndrome?),what's next? Apostrophes? Im not sure thats whats in the best interests of clarity!

    Seriously, as a recovering copy editor (copyeditor?), I take a far less orthodox view of the language than I once did, recognizing that it's an evolving organism and ought to be treated as such. The bottom line is clarity, ease of reading/comprehension and the convenience of some sort of uniformity. Let the language evolve!

    Mark David
    http://markdavidgerson.com
    http://lightlinesmedia.com
    http://markdavidgerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your reply on my blog. Funny story on the subject: Just passed my new mansucript (The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write) to a copy editor. When I got it back, I realized (even though the mss was fairly clean) that I could never do that kind of work again! But boy am I grateful that someone's still prepared to be that detail-oriented on my behalf!

    Mark David Gerson
    http://markdavidgerson.com
    http://markdavidgerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.