About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Friends, New Blogs and Nervous Breakdowns

Friends. This blog would not exist if it weren't for friends. I originally signed onto blogspot because I thought I needed to do it to tour virtually. That was at the suggestion of Janet Elaine Smith (http://www.janetelainesmith.com/), who promotes almost as well as she writes. She suggested that, as hard as a chapbook is to promote, a Virtual Book Tour would be the best way to let people know about my Tracings, a chapbook of poetry. I--with my ever-lacking bank of knowledge of anything tekkie -- thought I needed an account to do that.

That was in 2005.

Then along came Allyn Evans (http://www.allynevans.com/). Yes, two years later. She is my unofficial coach and shrink (degree in psychology and author of Grab the Queen Power: Live Your Best Life). She was trying to save me from a nervous breakdown. The urge to stab myself with a sharp pencil was coming from an effort to learn FrontPage so I could promote my next book, The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success to be published soon with Red Engine Press (http://www.redenginepress.com/). I had this dream that I could actually control my own website and had a plan for one called http://howtodoitfrugally.com/. Well that FRUGAL site is still a mess and getting cleaned up more slowly that a determined two-year-old with mush on her face. Allyn suggested that I could use a blog as a substitute website -- not an altogether crazy idea. She also said, "Try blogspot. It's easy." So here I am.

Well, Allyn, it may not be easy, but it's easier than FrontPage. Just in case there are any wanna bes out there who aren't already blogging, you will (I know!!) find it easier than I did.

So, I hope you will sign up to get regular notices of my blogposts. I plan to be generous about using material from friends and other authors. I hope to make it easier for readers to find good, new material and writers to write it.

Now, I just have to figure out how to help you signup for notification easily. Anyone out there want to lead me through that particular maze?

Best to you all,
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author THIS IS THE PLACE; HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED; TRACINGS, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books, THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T; and THE FRUGAL EDITOR: PUT YOUR BEST BOOK FORWARD TO AVOID HUMILIATION AND ENSURE SUCCESS.

16 comments:

  1. Carolyn,

    I think you hve done a good job with blogspot. I have been doing it for two years now. I use the blog to just share some thoughts with others, like an opinion page of a newspaper. You can always go see what I mean at http://sylviaspeaks.blogspot.com and let me know what you think. I say yours is great! because the background is colorful and I happen to love the color of gold. Just take it slowly and you will learn all you can do as you go along. I have personally turned many on to this blog site and have been thanked numerous times.

    Best,
    Sylvia McClain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Carolyn,

    You have made a very nice, easy to read beginning. Congratulations.

    Sincerely,
    Joan Bramsch
    http://www.GoldenBirthdayBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going, Carolyn! Welcome to techie world. lol

    Kristie Leigh Maguire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, love the way you've set up all the wonderful links and your appearances. Kudos to an excellent informative blog.

    Lea Schizas
    http://thewritersjungle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a set of step by step blog instructions in large font.

    Good job.

    Robert Eggleton
    "Rarity from the Hollow"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answers to Comments:

    Kristie: I bet everyone would like to know how you put your little logo on you blog comments. Very pretty. Hooray for Star Publish!

    Robert: Maybe my fellow Audio Divas and I will record a new tape: Divas Dish on Easy Blogging. Something like that! Find the link to our other audios that let you learn about all things writing-related as you drive on this very blog. (-;

    And thank you all for coming by to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I was able to put the Star Publish logo up beside my comment because I belong to the same blogsite with Star Publish's Tradewinds. When I post a comment, I am logged in; therefore my logo goes up beside my comments. :)
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is the url for Star Publish's blog, Tradewinds. Go have a look, everyone...
    http://publishinginfo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I am glad to see you finally took the plunge, Carolyn! Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. Look out world, she's on her way!
    Thanks for the nod right at the top of the page, and also for the listing of Pampas. It is much appreciated.
    Janet Elaine Smith, author of 14 novels and PromoPaks, available at http://starpublish.com in their ebookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the information in your newsletter about "How to make your Amazon plog work on your blogspot blog (or any other blog)." This is new for me. I first learned about the Amazon plog from your Frugal book.

    Thanks and happy new year.
    Betsy

    Learning Abilities Books

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've also think you've done a good job with your blog. It's really eye-catching and easy to read. Incidentally, I've got three blogs on blogger, so have RSS feeds on all of them. I've also put my blogger URLs on my personal website - double linking. I've also got a personal blog on my site too. I haven't got an actual RSS feed on my personal site though, as I have currently got info about my books on my Home Page which doesn't change.
    Anyway, I've saved your blog now on 'my del.iciou.us', so I can easily read it on a regular basis.

    Cheers.

    frances Lynn

    4:31 AM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Carolyn!

    I got into the blog scene in 2005 with some hesitation, but now I've got three for different audiences and different degrees of formality: my Star Wars blog, Myspace blog, and Amazon blog. Experiment and have fun with it!

    Take care,
    Abel
    www.PHILODOXER.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like blogspot--easy to use for us techno illiterates. :)

    Still trying to figure out how to unify all my blogs so I don't feel so scattered about the web... Perhaps that's a good thing, though? (Lots of promotions all over the place?)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Carolyn! Thanks for the blog link, promoting sistah! Of course you KNOW you're the queen of promotion! I was just so in awe of your book and look at me now...if not for your help, I don't know what would have happened...really in awe of what you have done. Have to mention I love your newsletter, too! Okay, don't let this go to your head, but it needed saying. ;o)

    Oh, here's a new blog you might want to check out...I've had it up for a couple weeks now.. www.pumpupyouronlinebookpromotion.blogspot.com. I'm going to add your blog link over there right this minute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.