Monday, June 11, 2012

When I run questions in my newsletter, I usually get help from SharingwithWriters readers. So, far, I haven't heard a peep on this one for Shirl Corder. I gave her an alternative to having a fan page on Facebook, but I didn't really answer her question. Can any of you SharingwithWriters blog readers help?

Q&A A La Ann Landers


How do we connect our FB personal page to our fan page?


QUESTION:



Carolyn, At the moment, my FB opens at http://www.facebook.com/shirl.corder which is my normal page (don't know what else to call it!) But I can't find how to put a link at the top to my new author page http://www.facebook.com/Shirley.M.Corder. So of course no one goes there unless I ask them to.

How do others work this?

In anticipation,

Shirley Corder
Writing to Inspire




ANSWER:


Shirl, you're way ahead of me. I have resisted doing a fan or author page on Facebook. Three reasons. One is that I'd have to tend two pages that way--for the most part. The other is that I'd have to somehow get my many friends (I haven't checked the number lately--but lots) over to the author page and might lose some in the process. I keep what you call your “normal friends page” pretty authorly anyway. It's not that I don't do any personal stuff, but nothing too personal and, I hope, just enough to look human instead of like one big sales ploy. Maybe that's an alternative for those who don't want any more social networking pages than they already have.

I also rarely invite people to that page. I figure if I wait until they invite me, they must welcome my tips for writing and marketing tips. Therefore, I haven't built up huge numbers of friends there. I do understand that a fan page becomes a necessity when your friends tally about 5,000.  


Therfore, I keep thinking about a two-page Facebook ordeal that we authors often face. I attended Magdalena Ball’s Webinar on FB pages and it was great, but I'm still only thinking...thinking...thinking. BTW, that Webinar is available to all authors at no cost; names of those who attend will be added to WritersOntheMove mailing lists (and that list is always used appropriately).  http://www.writersonthemove.com/p/writers-on-move-workshop.html.

Maybe some of the readers of this blog will leave an idea for permanently connecting your two pages.  Calling all SharingwithWriters readers!


----- Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including the award-winning second ediction of, The Frugal Book Promoter: How to get nearly free publicity on your own or by partnering with your publisher; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

Search This Blog

Best Selling Author TV Video