About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Monday, June 11, 2012

When I run questions in my newsletter, I usually get help from SharingwithWriters readers. So, far, I haven't heard a peep on this one for Shirl Corder. I gave her an alternative to having a fan page on Facebook, but I didn't really answer her question. Can any of you SharingwithWriters blog readers help?

Q&A A La Ann Landers


How do we connect our FB personal page to our fan page?


QUESTION:



Carolyn, At the moment, my FB opens at http://www.facebook.com/shirl.corder which is my normal page (don't know what else to call it!) But I can't find how to put a link at the top to my new author page http://www.facebook.com/Shirley.M.Corder. So of course no one goes there unless I ask them to.

How do others work this?

In anticipation,

Shirley Corder
Writing to Inspire




ANSWER:


Shirl, you're way ahead of me. I have resisted doing a fan or author page on Facebook. Three reasons. One is that I'd have to tend two pages that way--for the most part. The other is that I'd have to somehow get my many friends (I haven't checked the number lately--but lots) over to the author page and might lose some in the process. I keep what you call your “normal friends page” pretty authorly anyway. It's not that I don't do any personal stuff, but nothing too personal and, I hope, just enough to look human instead of like one big sales ploy. Maybe that's an alternative for those who don't want any more social networking pages than they already have.

I also rarely invite people to that page. I figure if I wait until they invite me, they must welcome my tips for writing and marketing tips. Therefore, I haven't built up huge numbers of friends there. I do understand that a fan page becomes a necessity when your friends tally about 5,000.  


Therfore, I keep thinking about a two-page Facebook ordeal that we authors often face. I attended Magdalena Ball’s Webinar on FB pages and it was great, but I'm still only thinking...thinking...thinking. BTW, that Webinar is available to all authors at no cost; names of those who attend will be added to WritersOntheMove mailing lists (and that list is always used appropriately).  http://www.writersonthemove.com/p/writers-on-move-workshop.html.

Maybe some of the readers of this blog will leave an idea for permanently connecting your two pages.  Calling all SharingwithWriters readers!


----- Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including the award-winning second ediction of, The Frugal Book Promoter: How to get nearly free publicity on your own or by partnering with your publisher; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:08 AM

    I hope this is the correct place to answer Shirley Corder's question.
    On your regular, personal page {if it's the Timeline one} - click onto the 'About' tab. You'll see a section called 'Contact Info'. Click on that edit tab. In the screen that pops open, go to the 'Website' section. Copy and paste your author FB page (of http://www.facebook.com/Shirley.M.Corder ). Then click onto the 'Save' tab, and you're done. You should be able to do this in the reverse, to list your personal FB on your author page.

    Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lea Ellen,
    You're a star. Thanks for trying so hard to help me (including all the messages on FB). I have done as you suggested--on both pages. BUT you can only read them if you click on "About". I already had my author page under the header "Page". Problem is none of these things appear on the page itself.
    Once again, thanks for trying. And Caroline, thank you so much for posting this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.