About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Monday, April 04, 2011

Coke Cake, Marketing, Birthdays, and Your Book

Coca Cola sent me a birthday wish. It is well protected, meaning I can't copy it for you here. But it is a great recipe for a birthday cake that includes 1 Cup Coke.  You should know that this is special fun for me because my father was the manager of a Coke company in Utah and I am  a big Coke fan. But I'm also a fan because Coca Cola is practically the father of great marketing. I borrow their marketing ideas (ideas can't be copyrighted!) all the time. 

Anyway, now I’m thinking of adding a chapter to my memoir using this recipe. The memoir is now being shopped by agent Terrie Wolfe. It is called Here’s How I Don’t Cook. Seems a perfect inspiration, no?

I hope all subscribers and visitors to this blog use this birthday wish idea an example of a great marketing device. How could you use a similar idea by incorporating an ingredient used somewhere in your book as part of a recipe you send to friends and readers on their birthdays as a reminder of your book and as a way to stay connected to them. 

So help me celebrate. Have a piece of virtual Coke Cake and think again about your book promotion. If you do that, it willbe your special gift to me. You know how I love it when authors put on their promotion bonnets! (-: 

PS: If you want to see the recipe in all its glory, subscribe to my newsletter by sending an e-mail to me with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line. HoJoNews@aol.com.  I think the image/recipe is going to come throough in the pdf version of the next issue.


-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and how to books for writers including, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't; The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success; and Great Little Last Minute Editing Tips for Writers . The Great First Impression Book Proposal is her newest booklet for writers. She has three FRUGAL books for retailers including A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor . If your followers at Twitter would benefit from this blog post, please use the little Green widget to let them know about this blog:

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn, Interesting marketing strategy. I tweeted it and FB'd it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...that virtual Coke cake is delicious! What a great marketing strategy, Carolyn. I tweeted this and will retweet via hootsuite.

    Thank you for all you offer to authors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of ou best marketers these days is Facebook. They offer a wonderful way to know when your friends are having birthdays. I use a little fancy font feature in my AOL program to send very simple but fun birthday wishes to my Top 50 Contact list (a marketing technique often recommended by Dan Poynter!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.