About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, May 08, 2009

The Power of Poetry--Samanthi Fernando's Inspiration on Mother's Day

I thought this the perfect piece of inspiration at this time of year when we honor mothers. Though not specifically for this holiday, it seems that art (writing, poetry and all the others!) and mothers should be linked because the contribution mothers make to each human being is the most artistic and inspired kind of art in the universe.

By Samanthi Fernando

Have you ever moved a long lost friend to tears and helped heal a hurting heart from thousands of miles away? Have you ever told a family member how proud you are on their biggest day, without being present to witness their achievements? Have you ever shown just how much you love someone without having to speak a word? Have you ever said your piece and made your peace all through the power of poetry? Well I know all this is possible because I have seen it happen. So I keep on writing.

My first impressions of poetry started when I was about six years old, when I listened to my older sister practicing “The Snare by Walter de la Mare” for a poetry recital completion. I recall my mother telling her to recite it with feeling, which my sister learned to do so beautifully and went on to win the competition. It was around this time that I wrote my very first poem “The Lake” which was published in the school magazine. A fiery passion had begun in my soul that would compel me to write words that celebrate the essence of life and have the power to touch hearts all over the world.

Poetry for me has bridged the distances that I cannot cross, to give someone a hug on their birthday. It has brought to life friends who have passed in a way that they will never be forgotten. With my decision to make my poems available online on my website, I have had the pleasure of getting to know the wonderful Carolyn Howard Johnson who has taken the time to read and comment on some of my poems.

Most importantly I have been able to uplift my readers with a different perspective on pain and joy, hope and despair and the unlimited scope of friendship. I have empowered my readers with vehicles to express and share their own feelings with others. A reader recently asked me if she could share my online chapter “Lost” with her friends. She said “every single poem just has some connection or relates to us at some given point”. This to me was the validation of the power I knew existed.

What I hope to do next is a poetry reading of my work. Would I reach an even wider audience when they hear the words read out loud with feeling? I am yet to find out. What I do know is that the sincerity of inspiration will prevail...transcending time and space and circumstances to bring the writer, the reader and the listener together through the power of poetry.
------
Samanthi Fernando is a poet. Learn more about her at http://www.starsafire.starrayz.com/
-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put and I could not agree more. I have only just found your blog here and I can see that this is a place to learn a great deal. Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to put your poetry on line - I particularly like the poem "we will meet again"- beautiful article btw and so true- keep writing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.