About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, September 07, 2007

What the Authorhouse Acquisition Means to Readers and Writers

News about an acquisition from Publishers Weekly confirms that the publishing industry keeps changing and that those of us interested in books must keep up with it, even if it doesn't seem to pertain to us.

Why is the news that AuthorHouse, the Bloomington, Ind-based self-publisher backed by the private equity firm Bertram Capital, has acquired competitor iUniverse, backed by Barnes & Noble, important to those of us not involved with either as well as those who are? Because this kind of thing can affect the pricing of printing services(with less competition, you may have to pay more if you want to use those services). Because this kind of thing can affect the numbers of books being printed which affects how any book must meet the competition. For readers it may mean they will have to choose more carefully and watch their book allowance more carefully.

That both of these giants (iUniverse publishes about 400 books a month and AuthorHouse does between 500 and 600) now have competition they didn't have before may have been instrumental in the acquisition. After all, Lulu.com and the looming presence of Amazon's CreateSpace are nothing to sniff at.

So what does all this mean? The principals at both subsidy-publishing giants assured Publishers Weekly that they had no plans to cut back on production or close offices. Nor to change the branding of the two houses. (iUniverse offers lots of editorial services and AuthorHouse tends to "give authors more control over their work" which, in the long run may mean a less professional product). Authors, especially new authors, may need more guidance than they get from many of the subsidy-publishing companies. That may mean more opportunities for editing services. It may also mean more scam artists will get into the already considerable praying mantis mode. In fact "preying mantis" might be a more appropriate spelling.

That aside, it looks as if authors in general need to ratchet up their marketing efforts. Certainly, there is no indication the numbers of competing books will drop.

Further, all authors -- those who are traditionally, self- and subsidy-published -- will want to battle the idea that all books that are printed on demand are somehow inferior.

In spite of this cozy acquisition, I see the industry becoming more finger-pointing and intolerant rather than less. Our role, as readers and writers, is to demand that books be judged not by their covers or the press they are printed on but by their quality.

And how can individual authors, regardless of how they publish plan for success?

1. Think niche markets as you plan your titles. Jewel Sample's children's book that focuses on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is an example. A niche helps you find your specific reader more easily by going where they hang out -- on the web or in real-life venues like bookstores and classroms.

2. Promote wisely and frugally. You're in competition with writers who can pay for lots of services from iUniverse (or others) and/or writers who have the budgets of big publishers behind them. The Frugal Book Promoter will help you sort out the possibilities and give you the details you need to work the choices you make.

3. Write as if your career depended on it. It does. That means edit for all you're worth, from the first cover letter that gets sent with your first contest entry to your book manuscript. The Frugal Editor is now availalble to help you with that.
------
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author THIS IS THE PLACE; HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED; TRACINGS, a chapbook of poetry; and two how-to books, THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T; and THE FRUGAL EDITOR: PUT YOUR BEST BOOK FORWARD TO AVOID HUMILIATION AND ENSURE SUCCESS.
Her other blogs include The New Book Review a blog that helps writers and publishers turn a ho-hum book fair booth into a sizzler.
She is also the founder of Authors' Coalition.

8 comments:

  1. For those of us who published on iUniverse without buying all the bells and whistles (because we knew professional editors, etc.), the acquisition shouldn't really have any effect.

    However, I am concerned that POD books are going to be harder to promote than ever? Have you ever done a blog or column on just POD books? I'm new to your blog, so I don't really know if you've covere this. I have purchased "The Frugal Book Promoter" but have to find time to read it!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lynn:
    To answer your question, I talk a lot about POD, in the speaking I do, etc. I can't say I've ever specifically done something for POD published authors because all the edtiting, promoting etc. that applies to an author published one way, generally apply to and author published another. I do think that if you drag that copy of The Frugal Book Promoter out of dry dock, you'll find lots of ways to beat the POD bigotry syndrome. Mind you, some of it is deserved. That makes it all the harder to beat, but that's true with about any prejudice, isn't it. (-:

    You might also want to subscribe to my newsletter. You'll find many ways to beat the POD conundrum in that letter every single week. (-:
    Just send me an e-mail with "subscribe" in the subject line. HoJoNews@aol.com.

    Thank you for your comment!

    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do subscribe to your newsletter!

    Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get to your book soon. (So many to read and so little time!)

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made some very good points about POD and self publishing which are not necessarily the same thing. I had to smile when I saw your comment about how you can translate "The author has more control". There are some authors who can control the process, but so many new authors I talk with do NOT have the experience or knowledge to have full control over the process. That is not to belittle, but let's be honest, how many of us were qualified to handle the entire process in the beginning? Besides, you also made the point that this industry is always changing and it takes a lot of effort to keep up.

    My publisher does not charge me any fees, she pays a small advance with my print contract and gives me total control (although she does offer suggestions and we decide which way to go). My last publisher did very little to help in any way and the editing was horrible. Thankfully, I have the rights to that book back and am preparing to re-release the book. Neither of these publishers are self publishers, but they operate very differently - actually they are as different as night and day : ) All of my books released under Nikki Leigh are print on demand and that automatically makes many people assume they are inferior. I've seen plenty that are, but its a shame there isn't enough education in the industry for people to grasp what POD means. I do keep hoping that having the big publishers in NY etc using POD for their backlists will help all of us. Keeping my toes crossed - the fingers are busy typing :)

    Nikki Leigh
    www.nikkileigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nikki, thank you for taking the time to post such a thoughtful comment. Yes, POD and Self-Published and Subsidy-published are all entirely different things. I make a point of this at seminars I do but I fear I am losing the battle. Too many people are using it incorrectly which only muddies up discussion on publishing. And that tendency is just more evidence that more authors need to do their homework! (-:
    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you :)

    I was at a large writer's conference and three publisher sat there and told the audience of 100-120 people that POD and epublishing are self publishing. You know me, I had to gasp - a bit too loud :) Half the room turned and looked at me - yes, the publishers too. I shrugged and apologized for the interruption, after I said very clearly that POD and epublishing are NOT the same thing as self publishing. During the remainder of the talk, I got about 30 slips of paper asking me to stay after the program. After the publishers were finished, I had an impromptu discussion in the back of the room. It was interesting, but I feel sure I can never submit to those publishers :) Its sad that we have to fight the ignorance in this matter. Like I said, I really hope that the big pubs using POD for their backlist will help all of us. THat certainly isn't their goal, but it would be nice if they helped us for a change :)

    Nikki Leigh
    www.nikkileigh.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nikki, I am moderating a panel on Sunday (West Hollywood Book Fair).It is on publishing. Some of my panelists are publishers. I plan to have a mini vocabulary lesson before we start. One can't communicate if no one knows what the terms mean! I love your story!
    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    PS: People can find info on that fair on my website, www.howtodoitfrugally.com or at my blog that focuses on making book fairs effective. www.authorscoalition.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting, thank you for all of the great advice!

    Jessica Dockter

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.