About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Giving AGNI (And Your Junk Mail!) A Chance

Those of you who have read The Frugal Book Promoter know that I am an advocate of reading junk mail--even some SPAM. It is often loaded with resources and ideas for promotion. So, in this week's issue of Sharing with Writers newsletter, I am instituting what will be a sometime feature called "From My Junk Mail." You'll see! There is some good stuff in junk mail! Here is the first installment of that segment of the letter:


From My Junk Mail:

In mail waiting for me when I returned from a funeral was a subscription envelope that reminded me that it is important not to get stale. It has been many years since I took my degree in English literature and I had never heard of this journal. It is AGNI, supported by Boston University, the National Endowment for the Arts and the Massachusetts Cultural Council. It was recently named among "the top 10" by The Boston Globe and Nobel poet Seamus Heaney says it is "a cracker of a magazine, a reader's delight, a standard achieved." It seemed to me that Sharing with Writers subscribers who want to reach for better writing skills should at least give it a look. Find information to subscribe (and submit!) at www.agnimagazine.org.

As an aside, anyone interested in Sharing with Writers newsletter, subscribe to it by sending an e-mail with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line to HoJoNews@aol.com. It is loaded with promotion, writing tips, opportunities and great features. There is a little crossover with this blog (this post being an example), but very little.

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , ,






-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure success. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal." Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com and AuthorsCoalition.blogspot.com, a blog that helps writers and publishers turn a ho-hum book fair booth into a sizzler.

5 comments:

  1. As always, you post info that makes me think!
    Allyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Junk mail has many purposes! A tip I received many years ago said to put those postage-paid envelopes to use as well - insert a bookmark and note stating no thank you to their service but perhaps they would like to read a good book instead and drop it into the mail.
    You never know who might take up the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit I never thought of looking at junk mail in this manner. I may have to give this some thought.
    Barbara
    www.joyfulpaws.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Frankie's mom. I'm a huge circular filer. As soon as I get my mail from the mailbox, I start sorting through the pile, tossing out anything that looks remotely like junk. Maybe I should rethink my approach. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes junk mail will even give you a new angle. If every time you think of tossing something, ask how it might possibly relate to your book, blog, website, whatever. If the answer is, "No way," use the circular file liberally. You'll get so you can usually tell by the envelope. Of course, you can also pick up ideas for wording and format of marketing materials from some of them. So, not too fast on the trigger! (-:
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.