About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Questions a la Ann Landers--Giving Away 55%? Yikes!

Question: Did you happen to ask Linda Keller, the Community Relations Manager with the Dayton, OH, [She shared some of her wisdom in a previous newsletter of mine.] Barnes & Noble what percentage her store expects from the sale of books featured in her store? Locally, the B&N wants 55%. If this is what B&N stores expect, I might just as well give the 1,100 books that I still have in my spare bedroom away!

Even the local Books-A-Million wants 50%. I didn't write my book to make money but to almost give it away isn't something I relish either. No wonder little guys like me have trouble marketing our books . . .

From Lloyd King, author of To 'Nam with Love, a book of poetry
-----
Dear Lloyd:

I can't speak to any specific B&N location [Lloyd lives in LA] but generally stores want 40%. That's what I've been asked for, at least, and that seems to be the norm. Considering retailing in general, this is a low percent; that's why bookstores also get to return their books. That 55% figure appears to be Amazon's requirement and that of some other online stores.

Having said that, this is not so much a problem involving the bookstores' markup (they, after all, have high overhead and must make a profit to exist!). This is a problem that many self- and subsidy authors make: They don't mark their books up enough (gross profit) to cover the costs of doing business. You know, like a promotion budget, discounts for distributors and for wholesalers and, yes, for their own profit.

Printing books on a digital press (POD) makes it more difficult to be competitive because books printed that way cost more and so it is harder to mark up enough to accommodate these costs and still compete with books that are self- or subsidy- or traditional-published in large quantities on an offset press. Printing on an offset press costs less and less per book as the runs (number of books) increase in size. Books printed in huge quantities in China can cost so little that even with all of the chunks taken by the sales pipeline, the publishers make a hefty profit per book.

So, what do you do if you are already published and your profit margin and retail costs are skewed against you? I'm going to return to a refrain you've heard in this newsletter and in more detail in The Frugal Book Promoter. And here it is:

Bookstores are not the best place to sell books.

That is true of almost any book except those that are destined to be true bestsellers -- the ones by the John Grishams and Irvings of bookselling fame. The best places to sell books are at speaking and teaching venues where the author is the star, conferences where the author speaks, alternative outlets like catalogs and corporate sales, etc. (Again, all these subjects are addressed in your Frugal Book Promoter, so I won't bore you by mentioning them again.).

In your case, Lloyd -- as the writer of poetry -- the best place to sell books is at your own launch (I understand yours was very successful) and at readings -- perhaps at coffee houses and the homes of friends who will invite all their poetry-loving friends and (because of the subject of your book) all those interested in military matters.

If you truly have 1,100 books in your garage, your run of books was much too high for your genre -- poetry. You may still sell them all but it will take time and persistence. Lots and lots of poetry readings and maybe a promotional gimmick or two. Here's an idea for you. When you write your next book, you might offer this one at a discount when people buy the other as an example. Or do what Amazon does. Offer two related books (yours!) at a special price.


----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author THIS IS THE PLACE; HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED; TRACINGS, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books, THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T; and THE FRUGAL EDITOR: PUT YOUR BEST BOOK FORWARD TO AVOID HUMILIATION AND ENSURE SUCCESS.
Her other blogs include TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com and AuthorsCoalition.blogspot.com, a blog that helps writers and publishers turn a ho-hum book fair booth into a sizzler.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that information Carolyn. Your grass roots approach to marketing makes so much sense and it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Grassroots is a good word for it, Hal. Love that. I believe in practical and free when possible. Glad that you noticed that it works. Sometimes the free stuff (like good editing and publicity rather than advertising) work better than stuff that costs us starving authors money.
    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about promoting poetry books. That's what I've found with mine, "Sightlines: A Poet's Diary." That selling at readings and talks and through personal relationships has worked best.

    From Lloyd'd website I learned:

    Lloyd’s book “From ‘Nam With Love”is a compilation of profound words complimented by powerful artwork that together tell a unique story of human conflict that only a person who has experienced war could possibly describe. “From ‘Nam With Love” was awarded the Military Writers Society of America’s prestigious 2006 Gold Medal Award for Best Book of Poetry.

    WOW! That's really something. I hope he's had medallians made for the front of the book.

    I'd also suggest since his poetry book is related to a large societal topic of war and specifically the Viet Nam War that if he hasn't already he could get more exposure through commenting on related blogs and discussion boards. I found some reviews listed on the web for the book, but I think he could do more of this...and interviews on related blogs to get the word out.

    Still, pretty much free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Janet:
    How nice of you to add something to more to help Lloyd sell (read that gain more readership of) his on-hand books. Now a tip for you. I'd like a link for "Sightlines" in the body of your e-mail. Maybe to a site where it can be purchased. Anyone who is so helpful to others deserves the same in return. (-:
    Best,
    Carolyn
    www.howtodoitfrugally.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Dear Carolyn & Janet Riehl:

    I sincerely appreciate the dialog posted and the information about other ways that I can promote my book.

    My best market has been by word of mouth and by those that read my website and pass the site address on to others.

    I will be speaking to the ROTC class at the College of the Ozarks in Hollister, Missouri Thursday November 8, 2007.

    I enjoy the exposure and hands-on that Carolyn mentions and I will definitely incorporate the use of the internet blog, etc. that Joyce Faulkner recently helped me set up.

    Thank you, again, for your words of wisdom. I wish you both continued literary success. I am so blessed to have wonderful people like you in my life. Hugs and smooches, always,

    Lloyd King
    Author of: "From 'Nam With Love"

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I've learned in promoting my book Right to Recover, 55% is standard. I know...we make nothing when we sell them through bookstores, that's why so many people are going the POD and self-publishing route. We can sell them online via our own Web site and make more, but this also means we have to stuff envelopes and run to the post office instead of writing. We can have Amazon handle the distribution, but then we're back to giving away 55% of the retail price to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolyn,
    I have always agreed with your comment "Bookstores are not the best place to sell books." I just had a terrific signing at a fundraiser for breast cancer research last week. Over 300 women attended - it was the perfect venue for my books of humor. I encourage authors to "think outside the bookstore" and try many different options. You'll be surprised at the results!

    Again, great advice, Carolyn.

    Kindest regards,
    Vicky DeCoster
    www.wackywomanhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicky, glad you shared this. Some authors have trouble finding the angles in their work, especially if they write fiction (or humor for that matter.) Authors know their own work best. Reread it thinking the whole time, "Now, what little aspect of my work would a appear to a niche audience and which ones would those be?" My novel, This Is the Place, for instance appealed to the Olympics crowd in 2002 because it was set in Utah. It also appeals to those interested in tolerance--several teachers have even used some of the chapters to teach tolerance. And femiists. And people who watch Big Love. And....
    Just think! Ha!
    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for all of the wonderful insight. I hope to be putting out a book next year that has taken five years to research. I've spent the last couple of years learning all I can about the book business and appreciate blogs like this where others can share their experiences. I am so grateful to have access to the information and avoid many of the newbie mistakes because of it.

    In the meantime, I've also turned a wood carving hobby into a business. And many of the tips you share here apply to that as well. Bookstores are not the most profitable place to sell a book and galleries are not the best place for selling artwork. Those places are more for looking than for buying. You can see my carvings at www.HeartwoodArt.com, if you're interested.

    Thanks again for all the good tips. They apply everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all of your tips and advice. I hope to have a book coming out next year and sites like this are so helpful in avoiding newbie pitfalls and learning the book biz.

    I've also recently opened a wood carving business and have found your words to be applicable there as well. Bookstores are not profitable places to sell books and galleries are not good for selling artwork. They are more for looking than for buying. (If you're interested, the carvings are at www.HeartwoodArt.com).

    To make it in the art world you have to have the knowings of a lot of things, like marketing, business plans and how to run a blog. With all of the mass competition, it's not enough just to write a good book. Your site certainly helps folks like me obtain the knowings of many things.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tremendous insight. I have written some material that all my readers loved but for which I can scarcely get a bookstore to even look at. I thought it was writers who put them and keep them in business! You have a lot of knowledge and it is worthwhile reading and learning from you! Hope you reach all your dreams!
    Steven Clark Bradley
    www.stevenbradley.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephen:
    LOL. That's why I wrote The Frugal Book Promoter. It happened to me, too. I got over it after much trial and error, which I share with others in that book! (-:
    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.