About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Friday, November 06, 2009

Obama's Half Brother To "Self Publish"

A news story in the LA Times (Page A32, Thursday, Nov 5) caught my attention.

The reclusive half brother of President Obama has written a memoir. I hadn't read much about this man before and I was fascinated by his accomplishments, but the part of the story that caught my eye was this:

Mark Okoth Obama Ndesandjo published with Aventine Press in San Diego. The Times called it a "self-publishing press" but it is really a subsidy or partner press in the vein of iUniverse (most of these publishers offer a different set of services, different personalities, different prices).

What the Times didn't say is why he chose to publish that way and I was curious because it is obvious his book will sell well and could have made a lot of money for most any traditional publisher. In fact, it would sell well worldwide because Ndesandjo is known here, in China where he lives with his wife, in Africa and, by association with his brother's name, about everywhere else.

Here's the thing. I can't ask him. Or, at the very least, if I were able to it would probably take a long time to get the question to him and to get an answer back. Here's what I think he might have been thinking:

1. In the long run, he can make more money than he might have traditionally published. If this memoir takes off big, his profits per book will be huge compared to his royalties per book. This thinking, of course, will only pay off for him if the book sells like crazy but the possibility for this particular author is certainly out there. (By the way, 15% of his profits will be donated to a charity for children.)

2. He wanted full control over every aspect of the publishing and marketing process for his book.

3. He wanted to get the book out there fast.

4. And this is certainly a possibility, too. Memoirs are hard to sell via the traditional route. Unless you are a celebrity. Maybe the traditional presses were so shortsighted they didn't see him as celebrity material. If that's the case, I think they are wrong. Up to now he has been a quiet type. But the media possibilities are there. The article I read was a page headline, the full width (six columns) wide, filled the upper half of the page, and includes a three-column (colored!) photograph of the author.

The article didn't say whether Ndesandjo's book will be printed on digital press or offset. Aventine may offer both possibilities. I hope it's a large edition printed on an offset press becaue the profits will be greater for him that way and I know this book is going to sell big time so the risk of doing a full run (rather than a few here and there on demand) is not great.


PS: If you should know anyone who is uncertain about their publishing path, please let them know that I consult and can also coach them through the publishing process. I have published almost every possible way--from e-book to POD to traditional. And the word "publishing" is not just the printing process (a concept many publishers seem to be missing these days). True publishing includes marketing and that includes distribution, promotion, and publicity, too.


Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , ,




-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author of This Is the Place; Harkening: A Collection of Stories Remembered; Tracings, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books for writers, The Frugal Book Promoter: How To Do What Your Publisher Won't and The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success. Her FRUGAL book for retailers is A Retailer’s Guide to Frugal In-Store Promotions: How To Increase Profits and Spit in the Eyes of Economic Downturns with Thrifty Events and Sales Techniques. She is also the author of the Amazon Short, "The Great First Impression Book Proposal". Some of her other blogs are TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a blog where authors can recycle their favorite reviews. She also blogs at all things editing, grammar, formatting and more at The Frugal, Smart and Tuned-In Editor blog.

11 comments:

  1. At the cost of sounding apolotical, I wouldn't buy a book that is even connected to Obama in any fashion. I know, I know, some people are going to get upset I've said that. Shrug.

    Apart from that, I too find it interesting that he decided to self-publish. We'll see how his marketing and promotion goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article, Carolyn. I'll be interested to see what the book turns out to say. It may be that he really didn't want any interference in his views. Good reason for choosing a subsidy publisher!

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn:

    Interesting and insightful post. I'm surprised he didn't go the big publisher route. I'm curious to see what type of marketing is used and how the sales go.

    Regards,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway Story book Blog
    Donna M. McDine’s Website

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Nancy, that the control issue would be a big one. A large publisher might have wanted him to include more about his relationship with his brother, and he seems determined not to infringe on his brother's privacy (if in fact he has any LOL).

    Donna, I'm looking forward to watching that promotion route, too. I't for sure the publicity he's gotten so far (free) is spot on! (-:

    Katie, thank you for coming by. I try to stay away from expressing political views. I want authors to be able to accept my advocacy for writers untainted. Though I have spoken out in the past on issues that affect writers--like censorship and freedom of the press. LOL. So, I'm not completely apolitcal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like having control. I recently decided to give my book a facelift (cover/title) and also wanted electronic rights back. I like going this route.

    Doesn't mean that I will not continue to seek out traditional publishing for different projects, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, if your reasons here are not enough to differentiate between self publishing and traditional publishing, I don't know what is. As far as marketing goes, all he'll have to do is sit back and watch the dollars roll in. The news media and word of mouth will do it all. And yes, a word from Obama, "buy my brother's book," and it will sky rocket. But like Katie, I don't want it unless curiosity gets the better of me. I'm a firm believer that BIG TIME PUBLISHERS will be a thing of the past very soon. They're having a hard time competing now. They even ask for your marketing agenda before they'll consider reading your book. Bah! Humbug, I say.

    Anyway, that's the way I see it.

    Pee Wee
    Author of The Kahills of Willow Walk
    and For the Love of Willow Walk

    ReplyDelete
  7. In addition to what I just said. CURIOSITY sells books. I answered my own question when I said, "I probably wouldn't buy the book unless my curiosity got the better of me." That leads me to believe I should manufacture a great slogan that will create curiosity in my books. Something like: If you are faint of heart, don't read this book.

    Pee Wee
    S.K. Hamilton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it that he is self publishing! And the fact that he is donating a portion of the proceeds to charity is a win-win for all involved. No doubt he will do well with his book and it will be fun to watch the marketing and promotion of this!

    Barbara Techel
    Author & Proud Mom of Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog
    Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=93350378942
    http://www.twitter.com/joyfulpaws
    http://www.twitter.com/walknrolldog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very interesting. I'd love to find out why he did it also, but most likely it's the first three of your thoughts.

    I'd also be interested to know if he attempted traditional publishing.

    Karen Cioffi
    http://dkvwriting4u.com
    http://nothingventurednothinggained.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shame he didn't completely publish on his own - he'd make even more money that way and not have the 'subsidy-author' label.

    Be wild if it did take off. That would really irk the publishing world, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just checked out Aventine Press and they use LSI, therefore it is digital printing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.