About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Quick BEA Report: My Take on A Changing Industry

Things in publishing are changing so these are the top NEW changes I saw this year, including one (the last one) that probably isn't new but that I hadn't noticed before.

1. BEA generally is not a good place to try to sell a book. Research publishers, yes. But most publishers have stopped sending their editors (at least when the event is on the West coast!). I was told that is because of the cutbacks in publishing, because of the recession and because of the slowdown in the publishing industry. Now one finds in the booths mostly publicity and marketing people. I have a theory that you'll see more editors when this tradeshow is in New York next year because a cross town trip on the subway will fit into strapped publishers' budgets.

2. Publishers -- even the big ones -- are starting to catch up to self- and subsidy-publishers. They're finally understanding the applications of Print-On-Demand.

3. The Net is more and more important in promoting a book. Especially videos. And social networking. And yes, some (not all) big publishers are starting to understand this, too!

4. Authors who attend tend not to know enough about what this show is for and what it does and often once they start to get it, they don't understand the importance of knowing everything we can about the entire publishing industry. Those of us who write and don't want our book sitting in a drawer need to know more than craft. We need to know the entire market. That's what a tradeshow like BEA does for us.

-------
Carolyn Howard-Johnson, author THIS IS THE PLACE; HARKENING: A COLLECTION OF STORIES REMEMBERED; TRACINGS, a chapbook of poetry; and two how to books, THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER: HOW TO DO WHAT YOUR PUBLISHER WON'T; and THE FRUGAL EDITOR: PUT YOUR BEST BOOK FORWARD TO AVOID HUMILIATION AND ENSURE SUCCESS.
Her other blogs include TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com and AuthorsCoalition.blogspot.com, a blog that helps writers and publishers turn a ho-hum book fair booth into a sizzler.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am going to place a link to this blog, as it would be of great value to many writers!

    And I found my first Book Expo in 2006 a bit overwhelming, but will be better prepared next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:46 PM

    Carolyn
    I found your take on the BEA show interesting and on target.

    I attended BEA with two intentions. First from the view of a Book Cover & Interior Designer and the second from the view of a new Author.

    I noticed myself falling back into the comfort of the first since this is known to me and the way I make a living. I found many interesting services for authors from printers to doll makers for children's books. I also came away with good information regarding what publishers are looking for to better inform my book design clients who use my services.

    I attended on the last day of the show in the hopes of being a more welcomed conversation to the booth vendors.

    And the second view as author being new and unknown brought several surprises. I eventually braved it up and asked at a few booths if they were taking submissions. Some were kind and discussed possibilities with me, seems they were interested in my topic...! This was a much warmer welcome than I received a few years ago when I only had a picture book to sell.

    I'm now better prepared to move forward with this new knowledge to the benefit of my clients and personal writing.

    Remember, keep doing something everyday toward your book and its promotion.

    Kareen Ross
    Your Book Cover & Interior Designer
    http://www.BookCoverDesigner.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.