About SharingwithWriters Blog


Named to "Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites," this #SharingwithWriters blog is a way to connect with my readers and fellow writers, a way to give the teaching genes that populate my DNA free rein. Please join the conversation using the very tiny "comment" link. For those interested in editing and grammar, go to http://thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com.

Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Good and Bad of Literary Agents

The essay below is a reprint of comments I contributed after a member of a list-serve came to the defense of agents and admitted that some of her agent-friends critiqued her work but "couldn't/wouldn't" sell it.)
-----
Ms. X, I'd like to add something to your comments, even though you did a great job on your defense of agents and, admirably, admitted that some manuscripts deserve to be put in a drawer or at least rewritten. That takes courage when it is your own manuscript (-: ; it not only takes courage but shows that writers do grow and get to be better writers if they work it. When that happens they can see the flaws in their own writing. That's not an indictment. It's the way we improve.

Now, back to agents.

I had the privilege of working with several dozen of the nation's top agents for my new release The Frugal Editor. They helped me help other writers by sharing with me what they find in query letters that mark writers as amateurs. They did it with humor and some with a certain sweetness of soul. They did it because it helps them if writers submit professional, helpful query letters but also because the more we all know about good editing and publishing in general, the better off the industry is. Some agents asked I not use their names but more than 20 let me quote them, and they were supremely quotable. They gave me a gift (a great chapter on writing and editing queries!). Through me, they gave writers in general a gift.

Having said that, these were all reputable agents, not the fly-by-nighters who charge for reading manuscripts, have editing businesses on the side that they try to pawn off on writers for an additional charge as well as a subsidy-publishing business that they hawk (at a hefty fee!) after they've roped writers in under the guise of being an agent.

There are scoundrels everywhere. And there are ways to avoid the ones who call themselves agents, something else I address in The Frugal Editor. The number one way on my list in TFE is -- surprisingly -- not to check complaint sites like Preditors and Editors. Too many naïve authors who know nothing about the publishing industry and didn't do their homework choose to go there and berate their agents who have really committed no other sin than taking their books on and working their bottoms off trying to sell their books so they can both make some money.

Nope, the number one best way to avoid them is to get references from someone experienced, like writing department instructors at universities, or some of the people on my favorite (self-publishing-subscribe@yahoogroups.com ) who give lots of their time to help other writers.
-----

Carolyn Howard-Johnson, is the award-winning author of the HowToDoItFrugally Series of Books for authors. She is introducing The Frugal Editor: Put Your Best Book Forward to Avoid Humiliation and Ensure Success, now available for pre-orders at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0978515870/ .

Please sign up for my "Sharing with Writers" newsletter: Put "Subscribe" in an e-mail to HoJoNews@aol.com. Learn more at http://www.HowToDoItFrugally.com . The next AllTips Edition will be issued in September.

10 comments:

  1. I was re-reading the Frugal Editor this week and found the input of publishers and agents very helpful. Thanks for sharing Carolyn.

    Yvonne Perry
    www.yvonneperry.net
    www.right2recover.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Carolyn. I love your spirit and how hard you work to help writers and others in the publishing industry!

    Jared
    www.jdvine.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn,
    Your expert advice is so valuable as always!

    If you love to laugh, please visit my web site at www.wackywomanhood.com and click on my blog link.

    Keep laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:33 PM

    Getting referrals is an excellent way to find a good agent. Thanks for sharing that, Carolyn. It can alos help to ask other writers you know, or to look at the dedication page in books that are similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Carolyn,

    I like your regular newsletter.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I know all about agents and publicist. I enjoyed the tips and facts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots to look into here. I'll be back. All the best,
    Nan, your blogging buddy
    www.becklean.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carma, I believe that eventually this pushing of words together that we see on the Web will make huge changes in the language. We are already seeing it. As you say, one has no trouble reaing "SharingwithWriters." If that became a houshold word (I wish!) like Kleenex, it might become a permanent fixture.
    Best,
    Carolyn
    www.howtodoitfrugally.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:07 PM

    For me I believe that self-publishing is the key. There are a few great resources to help the independent author such as Nothing Binding.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, thank you for the link. I'll use it in my newsletter. Lots of good stuff there. Anyone who'd like to subscribe may send me an e-mail with "Subscribe" in the subject line. HoJoNews@aol.com.
    Best,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on posts at #SharingwithWriters blog, a Writers Digest 101 Best Websites pick at
www.SharingWithWriters.blogspot.com. You might also find www.TheFrugalEditor.blogspot.com full of resources you can use and
www.TheNewBookReview.blogspot.com, a free review site will benefit your book or increase your reading pleasure.